JAST USA to release the Steins;Gate Visual Novel in English

This isn’t a release post, but rather a general news post.

Image

As you may know by now, JAST USA is releasing the Steins;Gate VN in the west, I am one of the translators that worked on the project.
Not to sound like an advertiser, (I don’t get any fee based on sales, but a fixed amount before the full release), but I implore you to purchase it if you can, not only will you get a superior experience to the anime, but if you’ve already been through the previously released unofficial English patch then there is also reason for you to pick up the official version, it looks nicer, the entire script has been redone, and through the wonder of engine access it also includes certain features that weren’t present in the original game.

There is also a small glimmer of hope for the rest of the SciADV series, 5pb will be watching the sales closely, so if Steins;Gate sells well in the west we may even see the other titles heading our way in the future, I also know that JAST has an interest in Chaos;Head, so it’s up to the consumer to decide the fate of the Science Adventure series.

It is, and always has been, my prime objective to spread this series to those that do not speak Japanese, so that the full scope of it can be available to you English-speakers too.

Chapter 5 of Epigraph should be out within the next few days, I know I promised Braun next but we got this chapter done first.
Thank you for your time.

1. Warren

That is awesome, definitely a first day buy. Thank you for all your hard work!

July 6, 2013 at 10:30 am

2. Shugo

Hell yes, finally. I’m going to make everyone I know buy it.

Also, I’m in Okabe cosplay as I read this news. Perfect timing.

July 6, 2013 at 11:29 am

3. I was hoping so much for a physical copy but in english this is truly great.

July 6, 2013 at 12:25 pm

4. Kurigohan

Steiner sensei. I know this a big request and all, but i really wanted watch or read the translated version of all the drama CD. Perhaps if i have already started working and have a steady income i will try to support you (studying in a university right now)

July 6, 2013 at 1:37 pm

• Don’t worry about that, I’m working on releasing the Drama CD translations with WhyNot subs, they’re currently in the pipeline so just give it some time.

July 6, 2013 at 1:44 pm

• Kurigohan

Thank you sensei !! Do you mind if i asked why was the translations progress of Steins;gate Disastrous Holy Day of scourge was not continued ? To be honest i was searching the whole interweb to find it, and i couldnt even find the jap version let alone the english … T.T

July 6, 2013 at 6:25 pm

• We made a start on it, and we do intend to finish it, I’m just not entirely sure when.
        What I can tell you is that I will finish and release it at some point.

July 6, 2013 at 6:39 pm

• Kurigohan

Thats a huge relief ! you cannot imagine how happy i feel right now. I will support you forever sensei ! 😀

July 6, 2013 at 6:42 pm

5. unknownaxl

This is awesome news. Any ideas if they’re releasing it on consoles or pc?

July 6, 2013 at 2:09 pm

6. Pingback: Steins;Gate Visual Novel erscheint in englisch! | Yagami Okami

7. FOXHOUNDER1014

I’m not so sure we’ll ever see Steins;Gate or Robotics;Notes available on anything other than PC or iOS. There’s practically no market for console visual novels in the West, and it can’t compete with the games on those systems. I don’t know how they’ll be able to localize R;N since that was only on PS3 and Xbox 360.

July 6, 2013 at 3:38 pm

• Shugo

That’s a shame, because the console versions have much higher-res art. (The PC version is sub-1024×768; I’m not at a PC so I can’t check.)

WARNING: EXTREMELY WISHFUL THINKING AHEAD
      Hopefully we’ll still get the other games anyway. Maybe this’ll push 5pb./nitroplus to do PC versions of them.

July 6, 2013 at 3:55 pm

• FOXHOUNDER1014

You sure? At one point, I plugged my laptop into my HD TV with an HDMI cable and it looked pretty hi-res.

I think that if Steins;Gate is successful, we probably WILL see Chaos;Head at the very least. It was released on PC, and I’ve used the fan translation. The English patch was later taken down at the request of JAST. Perhaps this means that we’ll see a Western release of C;H. It could take awhile, though because I think JAST only releases new titles every two years.

Robotics;Notes is trickier. There hasn’t been a PC or an iOS port, because Nitroplus (who’s primarily responsible for the PC ports of the series) had little to do with the game. 5pb is primarily a console-based company, but I’ve already said that there’s no market for that in the West. I highly doubt that they would make a PC version SPECIFICALLY for Western release.

Still, at least we have Steins;Gate, the best and most important game of the series. JAST primarily releases 18+ games, but S;G is the rare exception of being “all ages.” That can only mean a boost in sales, and given the fanbase of the series; I think it should do pretty well saleswise. S;G also marks the first ever 5pb game released in the West. The fighting game Phantom Breaker seems all but cancelled right now.

July 6, 2013 at 4:48 pm

8. Pingback: JAST USA to Release the "Steins;Gate" Visual Novel in English | OtakuTrade (おたく/オタク)

9. Pingback: JAST USA to Release the "Steins;Gate" Visual Novel in English | We, The Otaku!

10. bacon

This may be a first day buy for me. I love stiens gate and all the manga posted here,but if there’s a chance for more after this, then hell yeah!

July 6, 2013 at 9:22 pm

11. Shadow Guardian

Do we know what distribution platform they plan to use? I would presume/hope for a Steam release, though I don’t know if they have any service of their own or if they prefer to stick with physical copies.

July 7, 2013 at 6:32 am

• JAST typically uses a physical distribution method, there was a possibility of a steam release but [REDACTED].

July 7, 2013 at 9:53 am

• Shugo

Does 5pb literally hate money? I’m seriously starting to wonder.

July 7, 2013 at 4:19 pm

12. I will spread the good news around the internet forums! The Steins;Gate English release must be a success!!!!

July 7, 2013 at 2:16 pm

13. X Klide

A release date?
    Or something along that?

July 8, 2013 at 1:30 am

14. B

Release date isn’t confirmed yet?

July 9, 2013 at 4:14 pm

15. FOXHOUNDER1014

Alright, I tweeted JAST about the possibility of Steam or other platforms and they said this:

“We will do the PC version only, but others might be possible. We’d love to do Steam but not initially, it is looking like.”

Take that for what you will.

July 10, 2013 at 12:23 am

16. Michael Huang

I hope there can be a release of Chaos;Head Noah English PC version.
    The story of is more completed and thrilling.

July 10, 2013 at 12:40 pm

17. Lawrence

Great work with making Steins;Gate as English-accessible as possible. Between JAST USA licensing the VN and the Japanese release of the movie having English subtitles, this English speaking Steins-Gate fan is over the moon.

Of course, there are plenty of materials in the limited edition that need translating. Thank you for making this all happen, Steiner.

July 12, 2013 at 3:06 pm

18. FOXHOUNDER1014

Alright, I tweeted JAST USA and they said that the pre-orders will start by the end of August and the price will be around $40. The physical version will also come with extras, but they haven’t been revealed yet.

August 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm

19. HitodamaKyrie

Gah, I so want to buy it, but I had to go and lose my job. This is most distressing.

August 5, 2013 at 6:22 pm

• FOXHOUNDER1014

Sorry about that, man. At least it won’t be too expensive. I think that $40 is a fair price. Wish it was on consoles, though.

August 5, 2013 at 6:23 pm

20. TrafalgarLaw

Is there any possibility at all for the Stein’s;Gate VN to be released for iOS/Mac-users?

August 15, 2013 at 2:14 am

21. Red

All Right JAST they got School Days and now Stein’s Gate? I’m a very happy otaku indeed. Big money for the VN market in the west!

September 3, 2013 at 7:54 am

22. Wow I gotta get some money to get this I will replay it ❤ Is there any hope of Robotic notes?

October 14, 2013 at 5:40 pm