The Distant Valhalla

It’s been a while since the last update, so I figure I’ll post one.

Work on the Braun manga is going nicely, I’ll probably release some of that soon.

In the meantime, “The Distant Valhalla”,a short novel set one and a half years after the Rounders Raid on the lab has been translated and put into a PDF. It’s the story of what happens after Okabe gives in to SERN and they take the lab captive.
I hope you enjoy it if you get around to reading it.

You can get that here.

– Reading Steiner

1. anon

Thanks a ton! Glad to see you’re still keeping up the work on S;G stuff.

February 5, 2012 at 7:47 pm

2. Spiller

I was thinking this how interesting this kind of route could be a week ago, so this is a really nice surprise. : D Really looking forward to read this one, not sure when I have the time to do so though… I like the title too.

Anyway, it might not be the wisest choice to host the link in a 4chan thread…

February 5, 2012 at 9:24 pm

• Yeah that was my mistake actually.
      I must’ve had the wrong thing on my clipboard when I pasted it.
      Fixed it now.

February 5, 2012 at 9:59 pm

3. Zero

Awesome, I was wondering how it would’ve turned out if they were taken by the rounders.

Thanks!

February 6, 2012 at 7:01 am

4. Spiller

I finished reading it, it didn’t take as long as I thought it would.

I like the story, it fits the original story nicely yet is original enough to be an interesting read. Illustrations are okay. It only feels like a prologue to me though and it is too weak for an open end in my opinion.

Plot discussion: SLIGHT SPOILERS (in case the BBcode didn’t work)
    [spoiler]It does seem a bit weird why Okabe tried to flee via the LHC. Even though it might be a safe passage, it is too easy to get trapped down there as the entrances could easily be blocked with the organization and man-power the Rounders has.
    I also don’t like how Daru went to Japan of the sole reason that he was supposed to be there in the future. Since this is what makes it possible for him to go there, it is actually a time paradox.[/spoiler]

About the typesetting:
    The indention for the first line in every paragraph is too large in my opinion, something like half of the current indenting width would probably be better.
    The word definitions like [Valhalla] look a bit too similar to the headlines: [21, DEC, 2011 11:31AM]. Minor thing, but it would be better if it had a more distinct appearance.
    Otherwise well done.

Oh, and obvious typo on page 7, a ‘T’ suddenly appears:
    “Where are we goingT? The airport?”

February 6, 2012 at 4:19 pm

• Spoilers below:
      Well it is technically a prologue when you consider it’s both before and after the events in the series.
      The end isn’t really open as you know exactly what comes next in the story.
      It wasn’t Okabe’s idea to travel through the LHC tunnel, it was part of the plan that ‘Knight-Hart’ concocted, leading him into the trap.
      Daru going to Japan for the reason that he’s supposed to be there isn’t a time paradox as in the previous iteration of this event he and Okabe escaped on their own, and it’s inevitable that this will happen again. The point of the story is that they have resigned themselves to fate in order to make sure the next Okabe succeeds.
      I don’t really know how to make a PDF, so I just put it through an automated converter, ideally I’d have liked it to look neater, have better indentation and have the images a little bigger on single pages.
      In regards to the typo, that isn’t in the original word document so I have no idea what happened there.

February 6, 2012 at 7:41 pm

5. ElPsyCongroo

this was a nice read, after not having nothing about Steins;Gate!
    hope you guys will continue to bring more releases like there in the future!

February 7, 2012 at 8:13 pm

6. theWORLD

That was amazing. I wonder if that route is in the visual novel.

February 8, 2012 at 12:57 am

7. anon

Thanks Steiner.
    El . Psy. Congroo.

February 8, 2012 at 11:43 am

8. Hyper

Thanks for the translation.

I can’t shake the image of Lawrence and Holo overlaying on top of Okabe and Kurisu..

March 31, 2012 at 7:46 am

9. EPC

Tranks a bunch! Any chance of translating the short story where Okabe meets a character from Chaos;Head?

April 6, 2012 at 9:14 pm

10. juan titor

el link esta roto/caido/ no funciona
    ehmmm… i´m mad scientist and the link is down, please mr. up the files again.

October 17, 2012 at 7:50 am

11. Amer Ghali

Very grateful to you for posting this, just started playing the Visual Novel, finished the anime, entered the Text Messages to the Past sweepstakes that Funimation had and won myself a badge, currently Steins;Gate crazy.

October 27, 2012 at 5:31 am

12. PALM

The link has been taken down. Please upload it again.

October 27, 2012 at 6:27 pm

13. Nooo!!! Can someone mail it to me at aministo@yahoo.com.ph? The file was removed. Please? I know I’m late but I wanna really really read it! 😦 </3

November 12, 2012 at 1:42 pm

14. B

Hey can you please reupload this? Thank you.

November 18, 2012 at 6:20 pm

15. rushour

Link is not working

it must be the work of the Organization, can someone re-upload the file.. anything will do..
    or is this the choice of Steins gate? Anyway someone got to re-upload it, El Psy Congroo

November 19, 2012 at 7:51 am

16. rushour

anyone mind to re-share the file? 😦

November 20, 2012 at 1:01 pm

17. mark

It would be lovely if you will reupload it :)) or please send it to my email crescent917@yahoo.com I want to read this please

November 21, 2012 at 6:14 pm

18. OvnY

Thanks for the translation

December 1, 2012 at 4:48 am

19. SomeOne

Reading Steiner, your the best..

I can’t imagine why your not part of the translator on english patch in some Steins;Gate VN’s but anyway, I’m really grateful on your work..

July 11, 2015 at 4:56 pm